Continuing Education Requirements For AET Members
AET’s continuing education (CE) requirements for members at the Associate ET, ET/P®, and BCET® levels are as follows:
- Ten hours of CE annually is required. A minimum of five hours must be earned through attendance at AET-sponsored professional development events or activities.
- Completion of an AET Ethics Workshop (three hours of CE) is required every three years.
- To finalize membership renewal, members must attest to meeting these requirements during the 12 months preceding their membership renewal date.
- Compliance is achieved through an audit of randomly selected members. Members must provide documentation of attendance for ten hours of CE when requested by the CE Subcommittee Chair.
- Associate ET, ET/P®, and BCET® members must retain their own documentation of completed qualifying activities.
Continuing education hours may accrue in one or more of the following categories:
- Area 1 – Attendance at a minimum of five hours of AET-sponsored professional development events or activities
- Conferences, workshops, and webinars. Attendance may be live (synchronous), virtual or on-demand (asynchronous).
- Study group meetings attended live or virtually
- Professional journal or book discussion groups attended live or virtually
- Area 2 – Participation in an AET Ethics Workshop every three years
- Area 3 – Supervision of an associate member working toward the ET/P® level of membership or supervision of a student member in an AET-approved training program
- Area 4 – Attendance at a non-AET professional development event. The experience must enhance the member’s knowledge of content relevant to the practice of educational therapy.
Compliance with CE requirements will be established through a random selection of members for audit. Members chosen for audit will be notified 30 days following their membership renewal date (or sooner) and asked to provide documentation of participation (see below) for the activities attended during the 12 months prior to renewal. The deadline for submitting requested documentation is 30 days following the date of audit notification.
Submission of the requested CE activity attendance documentation is mandatory. An individual’s membership level will convert to General Membership until compliance with CE requirements is established.
Acceptable Forms of Documentation
Provide one of the following for each activity:
- Certificate of attendance
- Attendance tracking document
- Letter of attendance from course sponsor
- Registration form or payment receipt
- Notes recorded by the attendee, a summary, or a statement of implementation (how the content applies to the attendee’s professional practice)